Tuesday, January 21, 2014

On being righteous fisher folks


I remember the very first time that I went fishing with my dad. I couldn't have been more than about six years old. My family had gone to visit my Aunt and her family in McGregor, BC. I remember the trip in there because of having to be still and quiet as we crossed the bridge to get to the other side of the river. I discovered much later that dad was actually driving on a train trestle and he was holding the car and trailer on the rails as we crossed that bridge.

We went back to that same railway bridge a couple of days later with a fishing rod, a hook, some bait and one of those floating red and white floaters to see if we could catch a fish or two. The whole adventure reminded me of the old saying,”Give a man a fish he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.” This is the place and the time where I caught my first fish. I remember that I was excited, gleeful as I trying vigourously to winch up my catch in so it did not get away on me. It was mine and I was going to enjoy this moment. It had never occurred to me that it would need to be eaten.

In what I thought (for the longest time) was a poor fate both for me and for the fish was the moment when he was nearly to Dad and I and the net bounced against the pole and the poor fish fell back down into the fast moving water and he floated down stream as I stood and watched with great disappointment. I learn much later that my father had the same concern but a different feeling as this trout rose from the water. He was worried that I was going to finish catching this fish and then it was going to be on him to clean the fish and he was not at all certain that he wanted to so... ever so gently he bumped the rod and splash! The trout back into the river.

We are not told much about what kind of fishermen the disciples were when Jesus called them. But examination of the situation in the Gospel (Matthew 4.12-23) does tell us a few things about them, who they were and why Jesus calls them. For example, fishermen are simple and straightforward people. They have a great respect for creation and a massive love for family, home and community. I find that this is a universal truth, living in Prince Rupert and having lived in Newfoundland and Labrador. Fisherman are good at finding the fish, making the catch and bringing a “tuck” of fish home with them. Such folk make excellent witnesses and workers for whatever they put their hand too. Everything is tied up, screwed down, triple nailed and most of all anchored deep in faith and in the realities of life.

We are not told whether they were “successful” in their profession. With a fisherman, you eat or you don’t eat. That is the measure of success in the world’s terms. Simon and Andrew were out of the boat and at the end of a long night’s work and they were possibly trying to make a little more money or to catch breakfast for the family buy casting nets from shore. Or maybe the night’s work was unsuccessful. They had only a “waterhaul” and caught nothing and they are trying to make up the difference. Whatever the state when Jesus came to them and called on them to follow him, there was a choice. And that choice could cause a change in profession on many.

They left what they had behind. They put everything away in storage and they walk away from all that was familiar and secure to spend time with this Rabbi who, secretly for the moment, they thought was the Messiah. They went on down the shore and listened as Jesus called James and John from their boats, from their fishing, from their birthright and their father with his wealth. James and John walked through the rigging, hopped down on the beach, and left their father with the servants in the boat to go and catch people.

Please keep in mind, that though these men were leaving things and people behind, that does not mean that they forgot what they were or who they were. They were moving not to get away from family nor going to find themselves. They were moving towards the fulfillment of the kingdom of God on earth. They were moving to a greater feast and greater supper than has ever been imagined. They wanted that – they anticipated the smells and the tasting. They wanted the sitting and the eating. And the wanted it for their own too.

Lastly, remember when it comes to ministry and proclaim the kingdom, it is not about you and what you can do and have done. If you want to see the kingdom come in this city, then pray “God’s will be done” and then learn to see and get out of the way. Success and glory belong to God. Thanks dad for the lesson!


Jason+

No comments:

Post a Comment